Saturday, April 14, 2018

April 13, 2018 #AprilTTRPGMaker 13: Biggest Influences?

April 13, 2018
#13: Biggest Influences?
Among my biggest influences are the following:
a) That horrible first game
My first game ever was such a powerful moment that it had a profound effect on me for the rest of my life. First, it made me realize roleplaying games were awesome and fun. It allowed me to have a world to explore and adventure in that was magical and yet felt real. Secondly, it reminded me to never treat my players like shit. Even today at 2018, I am aware of some groups with GMs who are still as spiteful and as exploitative as that first one I played under. But I've at most promised myself to just be a better example of what GMs can be for those who opt to see it. In the end, I have to just respect boundaries and leave them to play how they want to.

b) Houses of the Blooded
This game opened my eyes to so many new paradigms in gaming, with the biggest being shared narrative control and open secrets. Many fault the game for its seemingly "incomplete" system or complicated crunch, but I personally feel they're just too set in the games they prefer to see the gems this game offers.

c) Everyday Life
I am thankful that my life is surrounded by people of different backgrounds, lifestyles, and stories who inspire me in various directions. I have people who encourage me to reach for new horizons, to spread my wings and be less afraid to share what I have to share with the gaming industry. From my parents who give constant support and faith in my abilities, despite not quite grasping what gaming is like, to my partner, Rocky, who has always been my anchor and my creative compass. He gives me just enough room to go crazy, then reels me back in when I teeter to close to the edge. And so many other people, it would probably take a short book to thank them all.



From https://twitter.com/Kiranansi

I challenge ye, my dear fellow game makers, to answer my questions, on the corresponding day, this burgeoning April, and verily it shall be that ye shall be inspired by all makers around you and in this beautiful world henceforth. #AprilTTRPGMaker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...